Saturday, July 25, 2009

Going Back a Bit

Well, I said I was back to blogging, and then Hubby surprised me by taking us on a four day camping/fishing trip! Although I don't usually like surprises, this one was definitely wonderful! Unfortunately we rushed a bit to pack, and forgot the camera. We did get a few pictures on our phones, and I'll try to post those later this week.

For now, I thought I'd go back a bit and share a couple of fun events in our recent past.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
We had a great Independence Day! We celebrated in a way we haven't before: We took the boys and met some friends at the St. Louis Tea Party. Believe it or not, the people who attend these protests are not radical freaks. We had a lot of fun.
It was held in Washington, MO. We were at a park between train tracks & a river; it was really lovely. The weather was great; a little soggy, but not too hot.
Riley rode around in his tricked out jog stroller. He's a very patriotic toddler, you know.
Tyson was also decked out in much red, white & blue. (I made matching shirts for me & the boys... Matt's not very into the matchy-matchy thing, so he just wore his American Flag T-shirt.)
Afterwards, we went back to our house, where our friends, family & neighbors joined us for our annual 4th of July BBQ! We had burgers & brats, fruit salad, corn on the cob... the works. The kids did sparklers while the dads set off a few small fireworks in the street. Later, my friend Steph, Matt & I settled in to watch a movie (while Steph & I knit, of course!). It was a long day, but very much fun.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This was also the day my mom flew into town from Phoenix. She comes for a visit once a year, and this visit is usually coordinated with the visits of my grandparents (mom's parents) and my big sister.

Here she is with Ty.
Mom's usually here for a week or so, and she has a lot of people to see & much to do. She usually manages to spend one day with each of her daughters. This year we got to spend a day at the art museum with her!

She snapped this picture of the boys and me under one of the All-Star Arches that were scattered around the city. (The MLB All-Star Game was scheduled for the following Tuesday.)
This was one of Tyson's favorite pieces. I think he likes the colors.
After we went through the museum, we walked a bit in Forest Park...
...and then ate a picnic lunch under the shade of some lovely trees.
And here is just one photo of my collection that proves that my mom eats her way through St. Louis every year. (Honestly, I'm not sure there's any other way to experience out fine city. Visitors are encouraged to eat Steak & Shake, White Castles (AKA "Whities" & "Belly-Bombers"), toasted ravioli's & Ted Drewes (frozen custard).
Now that we've gotten past funerals, reunions and fishing trips, I pledge to get back to blogging. I've got photos from camping, the garden, knitting. Yes! I've been knitting like a mad woman!

No comments: