Saturday, April 4, 2009

Welacome Spring!

Spring is definitely here. The days are longer, the seeds I planted are sprouting and I feel as though I have sloughed off the gray of winter. Of course, it's going to rain tomorrow and snow on Monday, but hopefully this shot of arctic weather will be short-lived.

There have been a few other signs of springtime around here this week.

I found this while doing some yard work this morning:
A dove put this on top of the shed we have under our deck. There's a small space there, and she just about scared the daylights out of me when I walked too close. She flew out, just near my head, and perched on top of a nearby house to watch me. I was a little worried that she wouldn't come back, but about an hour later, I found her there, dutifully sitting on her eggs.
After I had done some yard work and Matt & Ty had played tennis, we got to go to my niece's birthday party. Happy Birthday Morgie! I think she was a little embarrassed when we sang to her...
Fun was had by all. It was a small, low key party, and we got to see my sister's new apartment. It's very nice and has great light. Wild Thing was exhausted after having so much new space to explore. He rarely sleeps in the car, but today he made an exception.
When we came home, Matt decided to tackle finishing the yardwork I had begun this morning.
See all that dirt? It has been sitting in my driveway since Wednesday. With the impending precipitation, we really had to get it moved. I put a good dent in the pile this morning, and Matt enlisted a little help in moving it to our backyard this afternoon. (I told you, the garden is growing this year!!!)
Tyson was very excited to use his new shovel. After a few minutes, though, our work force had grown. (Who says the government is the only entity that can provide jobs???)
Let me state for the record that we honored all child labor laws. All the children were provided with safe working conditions in a harassment-free environment, cool water to drink, multiple breaks, lemon aid. And we paid them a couple bucks each.

Unfortunately, Wild Thing is still too little to help out. He's also too little to play with the big kids. That doesn't stop him from banging on the screen door and yelling his version of Ty's name. (...which sounds like a cross between "wawawa" & "yayayaya!!!")

The dirt is in the backyard, where the garden will eventually be. It has been covered with tarps to prevent erosion (imagine our neighbor's reaction if he ended up with our truckload of soil in his backyard!). Next weekend we'll haul out the tiller and really mix everything up. Hopefully we will also be able to get all the plants moved out there as well.

Now I'm exhausted. I went to a scrapbooking crop last night until midnight, and then hit the ground running this morning. It's only 10:00, but I think I'll go to bed. Have a great week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice pile of dirt!
We got a farmer to come out and expand our garden...and I ordered 2love trees for our expanding orchard. LOVE SPRING! and I got sparklies. :) love that yayayayay!